What Are The Conditions That Attract Spiders In Your Missouri Home?
Common Types of Missouri Spiders
In some cultures, spiders are considered good luck. In our homes, they are considered a nuisance! Although spiders in Missouri can be helpful by catching and devouring insects that are in our properties, they can leave unsightly webs around your home and their mere presence can cause problems for anyone that is afraid of them.
What Attracts Spiders to Your Home:
To reduce the spider populations that are entering your home, you need to make your home less inviting to spiders. If you eliminate the conditions that are present that attract these arachnids in the first place, there is less of a chance that they will enter your home and take over. Conditions inside your home that may attract spiders include:
- A large amount of insect prey for them to feed on.
- Holes or gaps in the exterior of your property that are large enough to let insects and spiders inside.
- Good areas to hide, including dark basements and areas of clutter.
- Areas high in moisture, including bathrooms and kitchens.
Where Spiders Are Hiding:
You more than likely have many spiders hiding in your stacks of firewood. Firewood provides a perfect harborage for many different species of spiders that are common in Missouri, including black widows, brown recluses, wolf spiders, and more.
How to Get Rid Of Spiders:
Eliminating the conditions that invite spiders can be a step towards reducing spider populations inside homes. However, this isn’t all you can do; the exterior of your property may also be inviting to spiders, so a few changes need to be made to areas around your home as well.
- Remove light fixtures from outside doorways or at least keep the lights off after dark; insects can be attracted to these lights, which in turn will invite spiders.
- Make sure gutters are draining properly so that moisture cannot be diverted into your home.
- Keep areas near the foundation free of clutter, dead leaves and thick vegetation.
- Don’t allow tree branches or shrubs to touch the exterior of your home as they can act as a bridge for invading insects and arachnids.
These tips can eliminate areas around your home and help with your spider prevention efforts. Sometimes, despite your best efforts, spiders can still find a way into your home. If this has happened to you and you need help, contact Rottler Pest & Lawn Solutions for spider control in St. Louis. Our effective spider control solutions can help eliminate all the spiders that are troubling you as well as offer you ideas to prevent this problem from happening in the future.