Ticks Are Already Active in St. Louis
If you or someone you know has been diagnosed with Lyme disease as a result of a tick bite than you know just how serious the disease is. After a mild winter and an early start to the spring season in St. Louis and many other areas, ticks are already active which is why it is even more important to recognize May as Lyme Disease Awareness Month.
Although Lyme is a serious disease that can lead to all sorts of health problems from flu like symptoms to neurological issues, there are ways to protect yourself and your family from the dreadful bite of a tick. Because Lyme can be so hard to diagnose and treat for, it is very important to learn how you can avoid ticks when out hiking or even walking across your lawn. The St. Louis pest control professionals at Rottler Pest & Lawn Solutions would like to offer a few suggestions that will help you steer clear of ticks this season.
- If going out into the deep woods or other areas where ticks are likely to be found, wear light colored clothing so you can spot these small, dark colored insects.
- When outside and especially in the woods or tall grassy areas, wear long sleeves and pants tucked into your boots to cover your skin and protect you from ticks latching on for a bite.
- When walking on paths and trails stay in the middle and avoid the transitional lines from path to deep woods.
- As soon as you come inside check your clothing and body for any ticks. Also check your children and your pets.
- Always keep your pets protected with a tick treatment from the vets office.
- If your own lawn or landscape is prone to ticks, consider a tick treatment for your property.
- If you do find a tick on yourself, a family member, or a pet, use tweezers to pull it off your skin and then save it in rubbing alcohol to be identified later.
You should still be able to enjoy the beautiful weather with your favorite outdoor activities, just make sure that you are also proactive when it comes to ticks. By staying vigilant in your inspections and watching where you are walking or hiking, you can reduce your exposure to ticks and the threat of Lyme disease.
Rottler Pest & Lawn Solutions can help you if you’ve found a tick problem on your property in St. Louis or elsewhere in Mid-Missouri. Don’t let ticks rule your warm weather season, get out there and enjoy nature, carefully of course! And contact Rottler at the first sign of a pest problem!