Practical Tips For Keeping Mice Out of Your Home This Winter
Let's be honest. You live in mouse paradise. Your home is filled with tasty morsels, wonderful sleeping nooks, safety from predators, and all the warmth a mouse could want. No self-respecting mouse would pass up the opportunity to live with you. So, it is vital that you make sure they don't get in and find out how awesome your home is. Here are some tips to help you prevent an accidental invasion.
Mouse Exclusion Tips
- When mice come into your yard it is important that they don't find lawn clutter to hide in. Toys that are left out, objects stored in your backyard, construction materials, woodpiles, leaf litter, and more, all provide harborage for mice.
- If a mouse comes into your yard, you want to give them less reason to explore your foundation perimeter. Make sure bushes are trimmed away from your walls to allow light in and leave mice exposed when they run along your walls. This will make them less likely to do so. If you have exterior trash cans, make sure they're sealed and secure.
- If you have a deck, patio, porch, or some other structure that mice can get under, this will be interesting to them. It is best to seal these off with chicken wire or some other kind of fencing so those mice don't scurry under there and start to gnaw their way in.
- Do an inspection of your exterior walls and search for any gaps or holes that would provide mice a way into your home. Use a caulking gun to fill these locations in.
- Be aware that mice prefer to chew on wood that has been softened by water. You should address outside spigots and hoses for leaks, and make sure gutters are not obstructed.
- Leaves provide harborage for mice in many ways. If you have leaves near your home, mice will take advantage of them as they explore. Raking leaves away from your home will help to make mice feel exposed when they come near.
In our Springfield service area, mouse infestations are a common occurrence. Hopefully, the above tips will help you keep mice out of your home this winter. If mice ever get into your home, reach out to us for effective mouse control. At Rottler Pest & Lawn Solutions, we use the most advanced technologies and methods to arrest rodent issues quickly. We also help homes stay mouse-free and pest-free, all year long. Request a free inspection today to get started.