Outdoor Tips To Prevent Spring Pests in St. Louis
It is finally that time of year again, the time of year when heavy coats are replaced with shorts and tank tops, the temperatures are on the rise, and the grass is growing again. After a long winter, it’s finally time to relax and enjoy the season, that is until spring pests start popping up with the flowers. The next thing you know you’ve got ants crawling around on the counter, stinging insects such as yellow jackets are just as happy as you are to see the signs of spring.
While there are times when only a St. Louis pest control professional can help you with a pest problem, there are some things you can do to keep insects and rodents from darkening your spring days. While it may not keep all the pests a bay, pest proofing can be a huge help. Here are some pest prevention tips that can help to prevent infestations.
- Trim back branches, shrubs and bushes. These landscaping features can provide a place for bugs and rodents to hide and gain access to the home. They can provide a comfortable, cool shelter from the warm sun and can give pests a way to drop right into your home.
- Seal off cracks and holes; a termite can fit through a crack 1/16” wide, probably a crack or crevice you can’t even see. While it is impossible to fill every crack and crevice, a good rule of thumb is to fill any holes or openings that are bigger than the size of a dime.
- Replace any broken screens, and make sure you don’t leave your windows and doors open (without a screen). This allows pests a welcome entry.
- Remove any standing water, including from storm gutters, buckets and pots. Stagnant water can be a breeding ground for insects and a draw for rodents.
- Keep trash and recyclables as far away from your home as possible and in an area of your yard you don’t often.
Please keep in mind, these pest proofing tips are just to aid in preventing pests but many pests are even more vigilant than we are. If you find ants, signs of termites, stinging insects, or any other spring pests trying move in, call us right away. The best protection is having year round pest control program in place and at Rottler, we offer just that! Call to learn more!