Are you planning a fun-filled Memorial Day get together this year? Will there be barbecue and beverages and badminton--and family and frisbee and... flies? Wait a minute. You didn't plan for flies? Well, even if you aren't planning on flies or other yard pests, they are sure to show up when all the food and fun begins. However, with a little planning and a little effort, you can reduce the chances that your holiday will be spoiled by ants, mosquitoes and stinging insects.
What Can You Do?
- Keep your yard as dry as possible. If you have standing water, this is an invitation for insects to live and breed. Cover any pools or hot tubs when they are not in use.
- Make sure all your gutters are free of obstructions and flowing freely. Also, remove all yard clutter that tends to collect water.
- Make sure that your grass is trimmed neatly and fairly short. Long grass is attractive to many insects.
- A few days before the big day, examine your yard carefully for wasp, bee, and yellow jacket nests.
- Don't leave food outside that will draw insects into your yard. Keep trash in tightly sealed containers. And don't leave pet food or other food sources around that will draw pests in. Obviously, there will be food outside if you have a barbecue, but keeping things in sealed containers will help.
- Be aware that exterior lighting and light that emanates from your home may attract insects. Keeping outside lighting off and curtains drawn may reduce the number of insects that are drawn in. Consider replacing your outside bulbs with yellow, insect-resistant bulbs.
- Create a breeze by using fans where guests will be congregating.
- Avoid being outside at dusk or dawn, as this is the time when insects are out in force.
What can Rottler Do For You?
- Rottler offers 100% free inspections for your home and lawn. We can take a look, let you know what problems areas you may have and give you treatments options based on your specific conditions.
- Our Signature Plus program not only protects the inside of your home from pests. We can also treat your lawn, bushes, and ornamentals to help eliminate adult mosquitoes and their egg sacks, as well as fleas and ticks.
While there are many steps you can take to reduce irritating bugs that can ruin your Memorial Day fun, a little help from the pest professionals here at Rottler Pest & Lawn Solutions can go a long way in ensuring that things go more smoothly and are not ruined by being overrun by bugs. Memorial Day is simply more fun without pests. Reach out to us today for immediate assistance.