How You Can Avoid The St. Louis Christmas Mouse
Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night hearing a pitter patter of small feet running through the walls? Ok, so there is no rare species in St. Louis called the Christmas mouse but there are many mice in St. Louis that would love to spend their Christmas right inside your home...if they have access that is. And a mouse infestation can really put a damper on all of your fun holiday plans including the arrival of family and friends.
Mice may be tiny but that does not mean that they are not a major problem. An infestation of mice is not only going to cause you a lot of stress, it is also dangerous for you, your family and your home. Mice spread harmful bacteria and diseases through their urine, feces and coming into contact with food and other surfaces. They also have a constant need to gnaw to keep their teeth filed down which means that belongings, building materials and the structure of your home are prone to damage. And even worse, if they find your Christmas lights or other electrical wires to gnaw on, there is a risk of a fire.
With the busy holiday season in our midst, it is time for staff parties, gatherings with friends, hosting dinners, shopping for presents and a whole lot of other holiday hustle and bustle. It can be easy to forget to keep a close eye out for any signs of a rodent infestation which is why we wanted to share tips to avoid a mouse infestation during the holidays and also, how to take some of the stress out of your holiday decorating in St. Louis.
- Apply weather stripping to the doors for a tight seal and to close off any gaps.
- Seal off exterior cracks and holes along the foundation and windows.
- Apply rodent proofing screens to large gaps like utility openings.
- Keep your kitchen free of any food debris.
- Fix any leaky pipes or other sources of water.
- Be cautious of pests when unpacking your holiday decorations, try to unpack them outside.
- Keep decorations stored in plastic bins with tight closing lids.
If you do still find that your home has some unwanted winter guests like the Christmas mouse, then make sure that you give us a call at Rottler Pest & Lawn Solutions to quickly and safely get rid of mice in St. Louis.