Get A Head Start On Fall Pest Proofing And Keep Mice Out
As summer comes to an end, pests like rodents and insects will be looking to find a place to spend the winter. These pests know that cold weather is just around the corner, so now is the time to find a safe and comfortable place to overwinter. Don’t let that safe and comfortable place be your home! Because pests are pretty predictable, you should start preparing now for the influx of pests that most certainly will be trying to get into your home. What can you do to get a head start on fall pest proofing? Here are some tips from the St. Louis pest control professionals at Rottler Pest & Lawn Solutions:
- Examine the exterior of your home; look closely for gaps in the siding or around pipes and utility wires, cracks in the foundation and other tiny holes in the exterior. Mend these holes to avoid allowing pests like rats and mice into your home.
- Don’t leave food on your counters. Store food in the refrigerator whenever possible and keep pantry goods that are in soft packaging stored in tightly sealed containers.
- Keep your kitchen and home clean. Clean up spills and crumbs whenever you notice them, paying close attention to areas around the stove, behind and underneath appliances.
- Keep clutter to a minimum; when there is a lot of clutter, there are a lot of places for pests to hide.
- Use only hard-sided plastic bins to store items in the basement or attic. Cardboard boxes can be an invitation to rodents to nest in your belongings.
- Trim tree branches and shrubs away from your home; these things can act as bridges to your home for pests like mice, squirrels, raccoons and other wildlife.
When it comes to having rodents inside your home, this is not an ideal situation. We often get asked “are mice dangerous?” The answer is that yes, mice can be dangerous. They aren’t directly dangerous, like a brown recluse spider or an aggressive yellow jacket; however, the things they can do to your home and the diseases they are known for spreading can be dangerous for you, your family and even the structure of your home. If you have been wondering if you have a rodent problem, some signs of a mouse infestation include:
- Mouse droppings that look like dark brown grains of rice
- Gnawed drywall, insulation, belongings
- Squeaking or scrabbling noises coming from within walls
- Smear marks along walls where mice often trail
If you think you have rodents, or you want to get a head start on rodent prevention, we can help! The best thing you can do to protect your home from a fall pest invasion of mice, rats or any other pests looking for shelter from the cold Missouri winter is contact the professionals at Rottler today for a free inspection and rodent control services. With our Signature Protection program, whether you live in St. Louis or elsewhere in Mid-Missouri, you can count on the team at Rottler to provide an ongoing pest management program to eliminate pests and keep them out, all year long. With inspections and treatments that target all your home’s pest problems, you can trust that Rottler will meet or exceed all your pest management needs! Give us a call today for more information on our rodent control and rodent prevention services for your St. Louis or Mid-Missouri home.