Pin It
Poinsettias Are A Festive Christmas Decoration But Are Also Poisonous To Humans And Animals

Earlier this week we posted a blog with some holiday safety tips.  We focused on fire safety and how to properly care for Christmas trees.  Today we wanted to follow up with a few more holiday safety tips:

  • Holiday baking – More fires are caused by unattended stoves than anything else.  According the National Fire Protection Association, 40 percent of house fires are caused by cooking related incidents.  Stay in the kitchen while doing your baking. Going to attend to something else while there is something in the oven is never a good idea.

  • Ornaments and decorations – If you have small children or pets in the house, avoid decorating with sharp or easily breakable items.  Also, do not use ornaments that look like candy or other foods; this can confuse small children, and may tempt them to try to eat it.  When using ribbons on the tree or when wrapping presents, keep them very short.  A long ribbon could be easily wrapped around a child’s neck and cause choking.

  • Poisonous plants – Many people do not realize it, but poinsettias are poisonous, both to humans and animals.  Keep them well out of reach of children and pets.  Also, do research on the other plants you regularly keep in your home; you may already have plants that you did not know were poisonous.

  • Candles – Always keep candles out of reach of children, and never burn candles close to the tree.

  • Space heaters – Be careful not to leave any paper, cardboard, or other flammable material next to fireplaces or space heaters.  Watch children and pets very closely; space heaters can get very hot and could cause serious burns.

The last thing you want is to have your holidays ruined by a trip to the emergency room.  Please be careful, and have a happy holiday from Rottler.

Tags: holiday decorating  |  Christmas Decor  |  Christmas decorating

Filter By:
rss feed Subscribe to Blog
go to top