Guide To Keeping Cockroaches Out Of Your Home
In our service area, we are called in to treat for cockroaches quite often. These are dirty and pernicious pests that can poison food, taint food prep surfaces, and spread diseases and allergens throughout a structure. In fact, they are reported to spread six kinds of parasitic worms, over seven human pathogens, and at least 33 kinds of bacteria.
The roaches we see most are the American cockroach, the Oriental cockroach, and the brownbanded cockroach. But, while these cockroaches have different names, the pest control methods used to resist them are the same. Here's what you need to know.
Before cockroaches come into your home, they come into your yard. Whether you already have a home infestation or you are looking to prevent one, these tips will help:
- Seal exterior trash cans to keep smells in and cockroaches away.
- Don't leave any food around your home.
- If you have compost, put it well away from your exterior walls.
- Keep things as dry as possible. Cockroaches are moisture pests. Make sure your gutters are working and that you don't have any areas of excessive shade that keep the sun from drying the ground after it rains.
- Weeds and overgrowth will make cockroaches feel safe in your yard.
- Lawn clutter is a playground for cockroaches and objects that clutter your yard will often hold rainwater cockroaches will drink from.
Before cockroaches get into your home, they'll find a hole in your walls. While there are many things you can do to seal up your exterior walls and foundation, you should know that this is not likely to fully exclude cockroaches. A complete barrier requires the use of pesticides, which can come with their own set of problems if not applied by a certified professional.
If you already have cockroaches inside your home, there is very little chance you'll be able to get rid of them without assistance from someone with an education in pest control. Cockroaches have been living with humans since the dawn of time. They are skilled at avoiding all of our attempts to exterminate them. And, DIY control methods can be dangerous when the wrong products are used or applied in the wrong areas.
At Rottler Pest & Lawn Solutions, our pest control technicians are kept up to date on the most advanced cockroach extermination and exclusion methods in the industry, and they follow strict safety protocols when applying treatments. For effective control of cockroaches, there is no better solutions. Reach out to us today to schedule service.